Weekly Update! November 28, 2009

Filed under: Uncategorized — beyondtheoutside @ 4:27 PM

Ah, week of thanksgiving… please dont kill me for these getting longer and longer! it might take you a whole week just to read this! It’s forever long, so if I were you, I’d probably just skim. I feel bad this is so long. but since I don’t expect a reply, you don’t even have to read it if you don’t want to. Poor blog readers: if it makes you feel any better, this is probably only 2/3 of what Chris got because some things were edited-aka not for public. So feel better, haha.

So, Sunday. I went to grace in the morning.  We talked about prayer. It was good. Pastor Steve gave the message.  Uhm, on another note…my lump in my chin/throat was still there. My ulcer was only getting worse… it hurt so badly! Today was the day that I was planning on taking Rachel, Julie, and Anna out to lunch. SO, Sunday me, Rachel, Julie, and Anna went to lunch. It was fun. We went to five guys near the harford mall. It was good to catch up. I had a good time and think the girls did also.

Monday: Monday I got up and ready for school, but since my throat/chin still had the lump and since my ulcer was getting bigger and hurting even more, I had to go to the Dr. She told me that if it wasn’t better I had to come in, so I did. I don’t mind missing soci, since I usually skip anyway, but I skipped swimming on Wednesday, so felt bad missing again. And I really couldn’t miss theatre. I think I told you how we’re doing a project about commedia dell’arte. Basically it’s improv. You have three main roles: lover, master, and servant. It can be in any form, but those are the main role types. Basically there is a plot that the actors know, but they don’t have a script. It’s supposed to be funny (master doesn’t want lover to have love-mate, servant gets treated badly by master so wants revenge, and the servant usually helps out the lover, who has some reason that there is a forbidden love). Anyway, we had to make one up and we have 6 people and it is a very complex play. And, it’s 15 minutes. So, it would be hard to be replaced since it’s a long and complicated play. She told us we better not be absent or we’re really messing everything else up. She’s a nice teacher, but does not take our crap. I e-mailed my teachers, letting them know I was going to the Dr. and would be missing class. My appointment was at 9:30, so I thought I miiiiight get to theatre (11:15). I let her know I would try to come, but it didn’t look hopeful. The Dr. felt my lump and was kind of shocked. She didn’t know it would be so…big. She measured it and checked out my ulcer. Just as she was coming into my exam room she got faxed my blood results. Perfectly normal. No mono, which she thought it was because of the lump, and mild fever. My vitamins and all were fine, nothing taking a daily multi-vitamin shouldn’t help. She says I’m just a “normal teenager” and that’s why I’m tired. I know what that feels like. This is not that. I asked her why my hair is falling out so much. She just said “you’re fine.” And, according to my blood, I AM fine. I am not even anemic, which she also suspected. In fact, I am verrrry far from being anemic. She said the lump is one of three things. I forget the first, haha. Second, it could be a reaction to my ulcer. My white blood cell count is very high, meaning that I am fighting an infection somewhere in my body. She suspects that the infection is manifesting itself in the ulcer on my tongue and my gland under my chin is responding to that infection, thus the huge..lump. However, the lump is…big. Dr. says that glands are definitely not that big or that shape-its like the shape of a french fry. It’s not really round like a gland. She measured and it’s 3×1. The third option, then, is that I have a cyst. If I do, I’d have to get it removed. Fun. NOT. She said she doesn’t really know what it is right now, we just have to wait and find out. It’s either a cyst or result of an infection. Either way, I have an infection (hence the high white blood cells). Basically, it’s too big to be a gland, but it’s a little tender. If I touch it, it feels like a bruise-so it hurts, but only a little big. If it were a cyst, it would be hard like it is, but it wouldn’t hurt to touch. So, yeah. She gave me the same antibiotics that they give you for MRSA. It’s super strong and kills all bacteria. I have to take it three times a week for 2 weeks to kill the infection. If the lump goes away, we’ll know it wasn’t a cyst. Since I was the first appointment of the day, I was in and out. I was home in time to eat something and get outta the house in time for class. I actually got to school almost an hour early for my class. I went to my swimming class and dropped off my Dr.’s note. I went to my sociology professor to give him the Dr.’s note also. He said he believes me and didn’t wanna see it. He doesn’t care if you come or don’t come to class and he doesn’t take attendance. He probably didn’t even notice I didn’t come, but considering I skip so much, I thought I would show him the note. Then I went off to theatre My teacher looked at me like I had risen from the dead. I couldn’t believe her eyes when I walked in. She was so excited to see me. She said she thought I wasn’t coming and thanked me so many times for coming when I was sick. I did my little play thing, which was fun, and got out of class 50 minutes early. I went home and found an e-mail from my theatre teacher saying “Maggie, Don’t worry about coming to class. I really appreciate your e-mail. Don’t worry about the play-we’ll figure something out. Get well soon! -Mrs. Julie” I could have skipped no problem! oh well. Monday was nothing else exciting. I had trouble eating because I have to take this medicine 3 times a day with food, but when I have this ulcer, I can’t eat real food because this ulcer is like an open sore on my tongue. It’s awful. Every time it touches something, it stings so much. I can only eat soup and smoothies basically. This medicine is really hard though, so my Dr. told me not to take it without eating a full meal first. that’s not exactly possible, so I eat a little then take it. I also have to eat yogurt cuz the medicine is killing all bacteria, not just the bad ones. So I have to eat yogurt to protect my immune system. Being lactose intolerant though, it makes it tough to do so without feeling sick. Gr.

Tuesday: I dragged myself out of bed, slowly sucked on some fruit snacks, hoping they would constitute (<–my new favorite word) as breakfast. I was hungry, but I can’t really eat much. I had those, took my meds and headed off to school. Fitness was boring. We got our big projects back. I got 100 😀 My teacher said she was surprised we showed up because it was sooo rainy and cold and they day before break. She considered canceling class, but didn’t. We had a super boring class that day. Then I went to bio. It was fun, I have grown to really like my teacher. We just went over a few slides then did a super easy quiz (5 questions, open notes!) and an in class assignment that was also super easy. We hardly have anything left to cover for the semester (we were supposed to do 13 chapters, but we’re just finishing 7, so she’s only gonna do like maybe 1 more, haha), so we just do fun stuff now. We got out of bio 50 minutes early and I was supposed to have Spanish afterwords, but did not feel like waiting almost an hour for the class, so I skipped it an went home. I haven’t ever skipped that class before, so I’m fine. I went home and did some homework then hung out with JP. That was fun. We just chilled then had dinner together (I had to bring soup because I can’t eat real food!!). Then I went to beachmont. They had like a special thing for thanksgiving. We sang and talked about things we were thankful for. I said freedom of speech. I said I had never been so thankful for it ever before and explained why.
Wednesday: I did homework and things around the house all day. I watched “my sister’s keeper.” I don’t know if you have seen that, but you should. I cried most of the time. It was super good. I went to a special service that was held for thanksgiving tonight. It was good. Lots of singing and gathering to pray about what we’re thankful for. I’m glad I went. I met a new lady with a 4 year old daughter. Her name is Nevaeh. Her mom said that’s her name because of what it is spelled backwards. It’s a pretty name and the meaning is so cool!!! Tim Dziwulski came over after the service. He was funny. He’s a lot different since being at military college. We watched parts of the DVD of or graduation ceremony. We got lots of laughs out of that. Then I sat down here and filled in today, Tuesday, and part of Monday. It is 1:45, however, so I should sleep.
Thursday: I ate breakfast because I had to so I could take my medicine, then went back up to my room. I was excited though because I checked my mailbox and I had a letter from CCBC. I could tell it was a bill and was not excited about paying for it (I figured it was for my winter class that I have to pay for out of pocket). Instead of it being a bill, however, it was a $375.00 check! It was for no reason! Not financial aid or anything! Just…a nice check! I was so excited. I checked my account online for school and it has nothing about this check being for school. I’m keeping it though! My winter class is $336, so this will cover that and give me a little extra! I told myself I’m gonna go buy something, haha. So ,that was very exciting! Happy thanksgiving to ME! So, I pretty much stayed in my room until at least 3. I was able to get a lot of homework done, on the bright side! We ate around 5ish or so. It was okay, it just didn’t seem like thanksgiving. As the day progressed, however, I noticed my face was feeling kind of…funny. It’s hard to explain how it felt, but it wasn’t good. All last night I had been trying to pop my ear also-you know, when you get off a plane and your ear needs to pop-my left ear has felt like that for 24+ hours. It’s beyond annoying. Anyway, so as the day went on, my face got worse. It was just the left side. Basically, it got to where I cant smile with that side of my face, it’s hard to close that eye, and it’s basically not being controlled. My friend had this in the summer. My mom looked it up online and it’s definitely something that’s called “Bell’s Palsy.” Basically, one half of your face is pretty much paralyzed for a while. It feels awful. it’s really hard to eat, too! Especially when you have a huge ulcer also. My thanksgiving meal consisted of corn and potatoes. Yum. I still have feeling on the left side of my face, but unless I think REAL hard, I can’t get my left half to  smile when the right does or anything. I basically seem retarded. I’m gonna go to the Dr. or Patient First in the morning unless it gets worse and I gotta go tonight. It seems there isn’t any real medicine, but it is caused by a few different things, some of which are quite serious, so I gotta go. It’s a pain in the neck. The day ended fine. My family had a great laugh because of my face-it’s so bad now! Basically, the muscles on my left side of my face are not working. This is not too good.

Friday: My mom woke me up early, telling me it was time to go to the ER. I got myself together a tiny bit, and was off to the hospital around 8:30. I’ve never been to the ER, so I was kinda nervous. I went in and got myself signed in and all. The called my name after just a short while. There was hardly anyone in the ER this morning! The took me back to the pediatrics, seeing as I’m only 17, and a nurse came in right away and asked what was wrong. She had me doing lots of different things to try to get my left side to respond. It wouldn’t move! I can’t frown, puff out my cheeks, smile, close my left eye completely or anything! She asked me lots of questions then told me the Dr. would be in shortly. When the Dr. came in she was so good! She listened very well to everything we said and was a little confused because this doesn’t happen to many people. She told us we were gonna do lots of blood samples, a CT scan, and told me to pee in a cup for her (ew). My mom called Mr. Dan because she was nervous and asked him to shoot out an e-mail to their small group about it. My mom also called me PCP who said to tell the Dr to make sure she checks for herpes and lymes (especially since that’s what Jonathan had when he was younger, if you remember). The doctor said she definitely would. After a long exam of my face and all, the doctor left and told me to drink water (via a straw, seeing as half my face isn’t working) so I’ll have to pee and a nurse would be coming in to do my blood. The nurse came in and told me she was gonna give me an IV. I’ve never had one before. I’m good with needles and shots, but the thought of an IV scared me. The lady took my left hand and tied the band so she could see my vain. Nurses have always found my arm veins easily and only needed to stick me once, so I hoped for the best here too. I mean, this needle was going into the top of my hand, not my elbow, but still. So I had my eyes closed the whole time she did it. She felt my hand for a long time then rubbed it down with these wipes before getting ready to stick me. She stuck the needle in and I started screaming almost. It hurt so much. She told me it wasn’t even half way in yet. She didn’t wanna keep going and hurt me, but leaving it just sitting there hurt even more! Every time she stuck it further I cried more and screamed because it hurt so incredibly much. I had assumed it would just be like the feeling of getting blood drawn. I was wrong. I was in so much pain. Finally she had it half way in. She then asked if the pain was too much. I shook my head no. I wanted her to keep going because I knew that if she stopped, she would have to do it again. She called in another nurse and said she couldn’t do it. She couldn’t bear to hurt me anymore. The lady said she would do it. They pulled the needle out and the first nurse left, almost in tears. Apparently it’s NOT supposed to hurt that much, she was doing it wrong. I was all tense and upset when the second nurse was about to do it because I thought it was gonna hurt that much again. She stuck it in and it barely hurt at all-just like getting a shot or something. I thanked her for not hurting me. After doing that she took tons of my blood and I gave them a pee sample (ew). It was not a fun day. I waited for a while then when they got back some of the blood tests they took me down the hall for the CT scan of my head. I got to ride in a wheelchair because they wouldn’t let me walk, even though I asked if I could. Riding in that thing made me feel sick! I got the CT scan in under 5 minutes. They just put your head in this machine and it makes loud noises. Fun. NOT. But it wasn’t bad. Then I basically went back to my room and tried to sleep and rest and played on my ipod. I was so hungry too. They finally gave me something to drink after the Dr. approved that. Finally the Dr. came back. She said that my blood is good, I am not even a little bit low in iron (my mom is low and hers is a 4. MIne is at 15!). My white blood count, which was high when I got my blood taken Friday, is actually on the lower end of normal now, meaning the meds I’m taking are working and this infection should be going away. Everything seems fine. The lymes and herpes haven’t come back yet because they take 24-48 hours to come back from the lab. She was just waiting to consult with the neurologist and make sure that she agreed with the plan of treatment that the Dr. had in mind. A little while later she came back again and said that the neurologist did agree. They think that it is something called Bell s Palsy. It is from an infection (which makes sense since I have an infection). Basically, half of your face is paralyzed for 1-2 weeks, and up to 3 months. If it is caught early, like mine, it can be treated with steroids. Fun. What happens is when you get an infection it can affect this thing behind your ear (which is why I felt like my ear needed to pop the other day) and the nerve (one of 7 in your face) can get inflamed and then get weak and stop working. That’s what happened to me. So I have to take steroids for 10 days to get the inflammation go to away faster. I have to take FIVE the first day then four the next, and one less each day. I don’t mind this too much, except that I look stupid. I’m more annoyed by this ulcer-it’s awful. The meds I have for my lump are required to be taken with a meal and now these steroids are too! I can hardly eat anything, much less something to actually fill me multiple times a day! Gr! So, it’s been quite the day. I finally got home around 2.30. I took a shower then got ready because the beachmont staff (old, new, and current) always have a huge get together the day after thanksgiving and I really don’t want to miss it. So I headed out there. It was freezing, let me tell you! I only stayed from like 5:30-8:15ish because I was freezing. I went over to your house to see Aunt Aurora for only an hour or so, then I went home. I couldn’t sleep because I had taken steroids around 8ish and I was wide awake because of them. I mostly just chilled and did homework-all night.

Saturday: It was a bum day. i slept from 7am-11am. Finally got out of bed, attempted to eat (which is hard when your face is half paralyzed and you got a huge ulcer!). The rest of the day was just homework, laundry, straightening up my room, etc. Boring, but much needed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s